What are staging environments?
Staging environments for Managed WordPress let you build and test your website without modifying the content your visitors see.
There are some things you should keep in mind when using staging environments:
- Staging environments are only available on Deluxe, Ultimate, and Developer plans. If you have a Starter plan, you will need to upgrade your account.
- Staging environments use a domain we automatically generate for you. You cannot choose a different domain or add another domain to the staging environment.
- You have exactly one staging environment per site.
- Your staging environment is persistent. We don't destroy and create staging environments for you every time you push to or pull from it. This can explain some synchronizing issues you might experience.
How do they work?
The typical workflow with a staging environment is usually these steps in this order:
- Create the staging environment.
- Pull your production site to the staging environment.
- Develop your site in the staging environment.
- Push your staging environment into production once you're done developing it.
- Repeat steps 2-4 when you need to develop your site further.