About .in Domains
.IN Registry aka as NIXI (National Internet exchange of India)is the sponsor and GoDaddy Registry is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .in extension that represents India.
Who can register .in domains?
Anyone can register .in, .co.in, .firm.in, .gen.in, .ind.in, .net.in, and .org.in domains on a first-come, first-served basis.
The .IN registry now restricts domain registrations to a maximum of 2 domains per individual registrant or 100 per registered accredited company. If you exceed these limits without registry approval your domains may be subject to deletion in the future. You may apply to register domains in excess of these limits by emailing email@example.com directly.
- .in — Intended for India businesses or individuals.
- .co.in — Intended for commercial entities.
- .firm.in — Intended for firms and companies.
- .gen.in — Intended for general use.
- .ind.in — Intended for private individuals.
- .net.in — Intended for network infrastructures, such as Internet Service Providers.
- .org.in — Intended for non-profit organizations.
When registering a .in domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3 - 63 Characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special characters (e.g., & and #)
- IDNs: Not supported
- Registration length: 1 - 10 years
- Renewal length: 1 - 10 years
- Your .in domain name renews on its expiration date. Auto-renewal is attempted on the the domain name's expiration date. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal 10 days later. If the second renewal attempt fails, we try again 5 days after that.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it by the 17th day after the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Renew my expired GoDaddy domain for instructions on the redemption.
- For example: Your .in domain name expires on October 10. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on October 10, October 20, and October 25.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Supported
- Must use: 2 - 63 (IND.IN only)
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfer Lock: Supported
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Supported
- Restricted for 10 days following registration.
- Basic privacy protection: Not supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Supported
- Cash Parking: Not supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- Must use: 2-13 Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4
- Cannot use: IPv6, DNSSEC
- Want to register a .in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .co.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .firm.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .gen.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .ind.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .net.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .org.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Check out our most common domain articles to get started with your .in domain.